Thousand pillars temple Warangal Ramappa temple
Warangal is 148 kilometers away from Hyderabad. In olden days it was called `Orugallu’ Warangal rose to glory in the beginning of the 13th century AD. When Kakatiya Ganapati made it was the capital of his kingdom. Ganapati Deva’s father
Polara Raja assumed independence after the fall of chalukyas and the Rastrakutas.
In course of time Andhra Pradesh spilt into number of petty kingdoms. Kapaya nayak, cousin of prolaya Nayak, recovered Warangal from Muslims. Finally in 1422 Warangal was captured by Bahmani troops, and on the break of kingdom it fell to the Qutub Shahis of Golconda. Shahis Khan became the Qutub Shahitab Governor of Warangal.
Warangal fort and the thousand pillared temple at Hanumakonda are some of the places of interest in the city.
Thousand –pillared temple is the best example of the architecture of the Kakatiya period. The temples have three Shrines being dedicated to Siva, Vishnu and Suya. Now except a linga we cannot find the images of the gods. Perforated doors of shrines contain beautiful sculptures. The pillars of the Mandapam are plain, while those of the temple are richly carved.
A large black Nandi, placed on an open platform in between the temple and the Nandi pavilion.
Plampet village is situated about 67 kilometers from Warangal. There is lake called Ramappa Lake constructed during the times of Kakatiya Ganapati.
There is a greatly sculptured Ramappa temple here. Ganapati Deva’s commander Recharla Rudra has built this temple. Sri Ramalingeswara swami is the deity of this temple. Statue of Gandhara dance, Yakshini and Naginis are the most attractive of all. The temple is made of bricks. These bricks have a peculiar quality of floating on the water. This is one thousand pillars temple
A Jatra is held in honor to deity, Ramalingeswara every year for two days on Magha Bahula Trayodasi and Chaturdasi.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this article on other bookmarking websites.