The topic is locked.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Abid has raised a good point about limit of independence. Although we are independent, we do not exist in vacuum. We are member of U.N.O. and bound by U.N. charter and various treaties governing international affairs on war, commerce, human rights etc.

Similarly, as individuals we are free citizens of free India. It is said man is born free but everywhere he is in chains. We need to accept the reasonable restrictions and attempt to break the shackles of custom and traditions when these are obstacles to peace, progress and justice. In this connection, we may remember Raja Ram Mohan Roy who worked to free us from cruel tradition of Sati.

We are free individuals but organized society needs discipline and team work. The best way is to do your job and not interfere with others. So let us do what we should, let government and parliament do what they should. Once a person was moving with his stick. His stick touched a man's nose. On protest, the man with stick replied that he was free to do what he liked. In retort, another person said "your freedom ends where my nose begins."

Independence has given us not only freedom but also responsibility to act in accordance with law and respect others' lawful authority.

I greet all members and visitors on the forum on auspicious occasion of independence day.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

To conclude the discussions, I may point out that independence beginning 15th August 1947 did not mean anything but restoration of conditions immediately before British rule began. So apart from partition, all the princely states were revived and some of them even revolted. We established a republic in 1950 and merged the princely states by paying annual privy purse to ex princes and crushing revolt by some especially Nizam of Hyderabad. The state of Jammu and Kashmir was also merged. This goes to credit of our leaders especially Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel. India would be considered an independent country even if princely states were not merged. In fact apart from India, there would be many princely states who would consider themselves as sovereign independent states.

Thus as regards unity and democracy, promulgation of constitution and declaration of India as a republic from 26th January 1950 is most significant.

Independence of our country and declaration of republic from 1950 both cast not only rights bit duties on us. We must keep our head high and move in the world as proud citizen of sovereign independent nation. We have a constitution that defines duties of all- citizens, government, parliament, judiciary. Nobody has absolute power. We must progress and march ahead in a spirit of healthy discussion and respecting rights and authorities of others besides enforcing our own rights.

Corruption is major issue. This can be fought only if every citizen or most citizens observe honesty in their own conduct. There is mechanism for redressing of complaints viz. CBI and vigilance commission. Lok Pal may be introduced. Any mechanism will work only if we do not ourselves indulge in dishonesty, do not compromise and lodge complaints. In most cases, people compromise for mutual benefit and so there is no complaint. Nothing can be done in such cases. There is a proverb- If Mia (husband) and Biwi (wife) agree, what will the Quazi (judge) do. Even Lok Pal, which is very much in news comes through willbe ineffective if no complaints are made. Even the present mechanism will work if you complain.

Wishing happy independence day to all.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

So friends, thanks to all the participants for making this GD a grand success.I congratulate each and every participant who shared their views which are really going to be a storming thought in coming years.

I will come soon with the results of this GD.Be prepared for another rocking GD.

Visit my blogs:

http://abidareacode.blogspot.com
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.