The topic is locked.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I was recently pondering this question myself, and this is what I came up with: Myspace is for "kids"... and Facebook is for "grownups"...

I think they're doing this because Facebook appears to be more mature, since it is less customizable. There aren't any crazy backgrounds and stickers etc. on Facebook, making it appear more for adults.

THANKS! THIS REALLY HELPED A LOT! Share with World now

http://share-ask.com/category/peoples-articles-news-now/
Facebook nice for many reasons.
1) It is more secure and you are less likely to be hacked.
2) There are less advertisements
3) It has more options (yes you are not able to customize it as much but it offers TONS of features that myspace doesnt!
4) It has been researched that more stalkers are on Myspace

I think if you say to your son or daugther that if you lie in internet you lie in a life and in future you can get troubles just tell increadible story about it how it's so bad, but kids like just waana enjoy time

@Sumit,

It is very easy to hack facebook..There was a time where I clicked on my friend's profile which was hacked(I dint knew it) and the next minute, my profile was hacked with my picture changed into something disgusting!

Facebook is a tricky social networking site, it has so many options to leave you confused.

There are advertisements that need you to click on "like" and then they disappear!

In fact there are many 'hate groups' on facebook that is changing the way kids think..

Swetha Shenoy
I feel that not only Facebook but other sites like Utube and even Epapers encourage slanderous and venomous contents and remarks. Yesterday, I saw several comments about Swami Agnivesh in very vulgar and unprintable language in Hindi using roman script.

This is in fact, a matter of culture and etiquette. There are many with pent up feelings who find the social network as a tool to express their vulgarity.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

I feel that not only Facebook but other sites like Utube and even Epapers encourage slanderous and venomous contents and remarks. Yesterday, I saw several comments about Swami Agnivesh in very vulgar and unprintable language in Hindi using roman script.

This is in fact, a matter of culture and etiquette. There are many with pent up feelings who find the social network as a tool to express their vulgarity.

Gulshaji that is true and as everyone have right in expression and commenting the views this is happening. There should be some strict rules in handling this situation. However, if such vulgar comments are posted if the other members report it to the site admin then either the member or comment will be banned.
I agree with Swetha that as technology has improved there is lot of malicious activities going on in websites. Even orkut has many security lags.

Gulshaji that is true and as everyone have right in expression and commenting the views this is happening. There should be some strict rules in handling this situation. However, if such vulgar comments are posted if the other members report it to the site admin then either the member or comment will be banned.

This is a unique feature of most popular social networking sites. There will no question of reporting as the topics and group exclusively pertain to the perverted. I mentioned Hindi vulgarity in u Tube. Similarly, others may also write their own language slang in Roman alphabet. When there is majority of certain type on a site, even reporting is no use.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thanks for clearing the air Kalyani.

Now coming to the age issue, as Rajani and me said in our earlier posts that facebook is US based and it follows the US rules. So unless they consider the age too low, there is nothing we can do about it. Instead, have a look at all the indian social networking sites, they all mention that a use should be above 16.

But yea, I do suggest some unofficial policing by the parents and guardians. See the minimum ages on any site, be it indian or American is just an indicator of the sample age of maturity and it in no means suggest that any person above the age of 13 or 16 is fit enough to use any site without any harmful influence. So a constant check by parents on their kids behavior and activity would be very useful.

Also, adults should carefully analyze their change in behavior which is obvious once you get addicted to anything. Ask your friends and peers for honest opinions.

And as far as students getting addicted to facebook is concerned, then yes they are getting addicted and the companies and universities launching their pages on facebook have aggravated this issue more. I mean many people now use facebook as a search engine and get upto date and latest information. Also, if you closely observed, most colleges and abroad universities promote on facebook, offer scholarships run contests etc.

So along with these activities students do their own personal stuff. I think it is important that students realize the importance of real meets with people and also keep a check on how much time they are wasting and what they are gaining in return. A healthy balance will be in favor of everybody.

In conclusion, the use of facebook really depends on the individual and to an extent on their parents and guardians. If you use facebook right, not only you can stay connected to your friends, you can also earn some money and find upto date information.
Gulshaji it is not possible to completely control anything on Internet. The content of youtube gives lot of money to the site so as the social networking site. They do not care about what the content is, however, in exteme conditions some similar groups were completely banned, after some users started a group aganist it by reporting it as improper and hurting content. The site provide reporting feature just to keep the poster to be alert not to post any bad content. If people dont follow this, they dont care unless some reports come aganist it, in large number. Hence, it is good to report whatever be the result.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.