The topic is locked.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
When I think about old people or small children I feel that both need care...In case of small children if we don't take proper care it may effect their future...While that's not the case of old people as most of them need a support and presence of people so that they don't feel depressed or lonely...
It's quiet common to be depressed or lonely in old age as our mind mostly thinks about past rather than present or future...So they need diversion from such type of thinking...

Old age home may create such atmosphere where old people indulge themselves in various activities with others, provided if the old age home is not looking for its own profits...

I too agree with @gulshan that if both the couples are busy then old age home is the only good option left.. while its not good to leave them alone if they are facing some serious health problems as emotion support is needed..
Normally old age homes can never give that emotional support...though they can give 24 hours support for nursing...

There is negative and positive aspects too...
Well its true that in other countries like US and CANADA the concept of old age homes is quiet common...but in India its not. People don't leave their children even after 18 years here, while its quiet common that they are ready to leave their old parents.. in such case something is better then nothing....keep them in old age homes in much better than leaving them somewhere as orphans... :( Old age home concept should be adopted if people think they are busy and don't want their parents as companions. Though it may sound harass but the fact is leaving them alone is much worst than giving them a secured home..
In USA this situation is more common because most of the elder's suffer from mental disorders or some psychological problems and hence the young people in USA prefer to keep their parents at old age home or nursing home. It is very difficult to take the responsibilities of such people especially if both husband and wife are office going.
But in our country old people usually do not suffer from mental disorders as compared to other countries. But still people like to keep their parents at oldage home. It is only due to lack of taking the responsibilities and want of freedom.
Some of them dont have choice. If a old couple has all daughters and no son then this problem arises a lot.Because once daughter gets married there is no one to take care of such old couple, at such time they have to stay at oldage home or nursing home.

These days women are also working and asserting themselves. They can also accommodate their own parents with themselves. More so, when there are no sons. One of my maternal uncle has only two daughters and no son. He lives with one of his daughters. There is no problem. It is necessary to change mindset. If daughters can live with their parents in law, they may also with own parents. This is far better than sending the senior citizen to old age home.

Yes parents can stay with theirs daughters but what if the daughters stay far in some other countries? The problem arises their. At such cases I think parents must stay with either of them in other country for couple of months and for few months they can stay in their own country.This choice would be better that staying in old age home.
I agree with @Devyani that old people are much experienced then us and are always needed..but its only applicable for people who believe they are worthable.
I have seen a old age home near our house once where most of the old people were deceived by their children that they are going to stay in proper house...Its really heartbreaking that they were tortured daily without giving proper food or amenities....in addition to that the caretakers use to do illegal activities at night along with the doctor who was also a founder.. :( :angry:
In such case its better for them stay at home lonely rather than get tortured...
In U.S.A. and Canada, senior citizens' health is better than their Indian counterparts. Culture being different, they live separate from their children. In old age homes, the senior citizens enjoy indoor games. Being of same age, the senior citizens give good company to each other. They also go for picnic and visit malls travelling in vehicles specially for their use.

Every senior citizen in Canada gets pension. I know of one friend of my late father. He gets pension in India as well as in Canada. Hence, he spends some time in Canada and some in India.

The concept of old age home in India is not in tune with Indian culture and traditions. Here this is only last option.

In USA if u see the oldage homes, they are luxurious apartment with all the amenities in the apartment. The nurses are well mannered, polite and always smiling, willing to do any work for those old people. When I saw that old age home I was stunned . The old people enjoyed their life there. They get all the respect which they expect from others and thats y they njoy being there.
I hope our country also provides such facility so that the old people can live their life lively at the last moment.
In U.S.A. and Canada, senior citizens' health is better than their Indian counterparts. Culture being different, they live separate from their children. In old age homes, the senior citizens enjoy indoor games. Being of same age, the senior citizens give good company to each other. They also go for picnic and visit malls travelling in vehicles specially for their use.

Every senior citizen in Canada gets pension. I know of one friend of my late father. He gets pension in India as well as in Canada. Hence, he spends some time in Canada and some in India.

The concept of old age home in India is not in tune with Indian culture and traditions. Here this is only last option.

In USA if u see the oldage homes, they are luxurious apartment with all the amenities in the apartment. The nurses are well mannered, polite and always smiling, willing to do any work for those old people. When I saw that old age home I was stunned . The old people enjoyed their life there. They get all the respect which they expect from others and thats y they njoy being there.
I hope our country also provides such facility so that the old people can live their life lively at the last moment.

I totally agree with Sheetal!Its fact and amenities are important for giving a peaceful atmosphere to the old..
When I think about old people or small children I feel that both need care...In case of small children if we don't take proper care it may effect their future...While that's not the case of old people as most of them need a support and presence of people so that they don't feel depressed or lonely...
It's quiet common to be depressed or lonely in old age as our mind mostly thinks about past rather than present or future...So they need diversion from such type of thinking...

Old age home may create such atmosphere where old people indulge themselves in various activities with others, provided if the old age home is not looking for its own profits...

I too agree with @gulshan that if both the couples are busy then old age home is the only good option left.. while its not good to leave them alone if they are facing some serious health problems as emotion support is needed..
Normally old age homes can never give that emotional support...though they can give 24 hours support for nursing...

There is negative and positive aspects too...

Old age homes by themselves may not provide emotional support. These should not be considered as a dumping place for the aged. Children should remain in contact with their parents in such old age homes. They should periodically visit them and talk on phone. Sending aged to old age home should be like sending children to hostel.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

I have seen many old age homes in my city and other cities. In fact we visit their often to meet inmates of one such home that is run by a group of friends on cooperative basis. We collect some funds from different big industries, which they pay on regular basis and some of the contribution by the relatives of inmates. People are happy in this home and live like a family.
They even celebrate all festivals and national days as usually normal citizens do. Although we have provided a TV, fridge, kitchen appliances, generator, computer etc for them most of them have their own equipment as well.We are planning another home in our city to provide accommodation to more people who are interested.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

I have seen many old age homes in my city and other cities. In fact we visit their often to meet inmates of one such home that is run by a group of friends on cooperative basis. We collect some funds from different big industries, which they pay on regular basis and some of the contribution by the relatives of inmates. People are happy in this home and live like a family.
They even celebrate all festivals and national days as usually normal citizens do. Although we have provided a TV, fridge, kitchen appliances, generator, computer etc for them most of them have their own equipment as well.We are planning another home in our city to provide accommodation to more people who are interested.

If those people are happy emotionally and if most of the amenities are available for them then its really good. We need such organization who are ready to work genuinely for such aged people. All the best to u sunil. Hope we see the good old age homes soon..
I think this is more joy for us to go to old-age homes and try to be with such inmates who have no one to look after them. This makes them forget some of their sorrows and gives them a soothing effect.
Our group of friends has made it a point to go to a particular old-age home in our area where we visit often with small gifts like fruits and sweets and talk to them. We have even taken them out for sight seeing etc. in groups to nearby picnic spots.
The look of joy on their faces gives us a satisfaction beyond any description. They have become like our family members. I wish some more friends would join in our mission soon. I know this does cost us some money but when we see the happiness on their faces, the feeling is heavenly.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Thank you said by: Rajani K
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.