Which one would you prefer to invest in shares or debentures?

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Presently, I do not invest either in shares or debentures. But I used to invest in both many years ago.  We need to understand difference between these instruments.  Shares represent capital of a company whereas debentures are loan. Hence shareholder is member of company and is entitled to dividend out of profit of company. share holder is at greater risk as his return depends on profits. a debenture holder is entitled to interest at fixed rate irrespective of profit.  Again a debenture may be convertible or non convertible. A convertible debenture is one which wholly or partly is convertible into shares. You may decide your investment according to your attitude to risk and need for regular/ certain income. A share gives uncertain income and this is expected to give higher return though risky. Debenture will give definite return.   

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: jabeen
Gulshan Kumar Ajmani wrote:

Presently, I do not invest either in shares or debentures. But I used to invest in both many years ago.  We need to understand difference between these instruments.  Shares represent capital of a company whereas debentures are loan. Hence shareholder is member of company and is entitled to dividend out of profit of company. share holder is at greater risk as his return depends on profits. a debenture holder is entitled to interest at fixed rate irrespective of profit.  Again a debenture may be convertible or non convertible. A convertible debenture is one which wholly or partly is convertible into shares. You may decide your investment according to your attitude to risk and need for regular/ certain income. A share gives uncertain income and this is expected to give higher return though risky. Debenture will give definite return.   

Well sir, I too did not invest neither in Shares nor in Debentures, Because, I don't have any idea about them. Thats why I did not invest.

Presently, nifty and sensex is decreasing so it is not a right time to invest but axis bank had shown an increase in stock market.

Thanks for the advise . Before I venture to try  nifty.

I think investing through mutual funds as long term investment might be beneficial. Until stock market stabilizes and the bad consequences of demonetization fades away, then market could be in a favorable situation to be invested in.

About Mutual funds... OJ, i will look into it

I am not investing in stock market. I am investing term deposite in these day, Term deposite is safe investment.

anil wrote:

I am not investing in stock market. I am investing term deposite in these day, Term deposite is safe investment.

Anil, will you please explain term deposits ? I have least idea about them

rambabu wrote:
anil wrote:

Term deposit mean Fixed deposit. Deposit in bank for certain period. 

Thank you said by: rambabu
anil wrote:
rambabu wrote:
anil wrote:

Term deposit mean Fixed deposit. Deposit in bank for certain period. 

I see. what about interest rates ? will the Bank Authorities tell me the details ? Any how, I myself will go and find out

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.