Sometime back we had a heated discussion , actually an argument  when one of my friends accused another of being stingy which was actually not true ... and when some of us tried to tell her that she was thrifty , she felt that being stingy and thrifty are one and the same ! She felt that being careful with things and money was being stingy and she simply did not want to hear any further ..   

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

I think there is a difference in between the two. While thrifty is a knowledgeable one that manages their means well a stingy is somewhat miser or thinks twice before spending even for reasonable purpose.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Meaning is differ. Which is thrifty for person may be stingy for other person. But I know one this thrifty is good habit.

I agree that being thrifty is very essential in life or else you end up being a pauper . Some very rich people like the Ambanis ,ShahRukh Khan and Industrialists probably have the capacity to splurge without batting an eye lid but for most of us , finances are limited and we need to make the best use of it . This also means that you need to care for your things and possessions  so that you get the maximum benefit out of them and that is certainly not being stingy..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

There is a quite popular story about Bill Gates regarding exactly this matter. The story goes that once Bill Gates was visiting a restaurant where his daughter too patronised. After finishing his meal, while paying the bill, Bill Gates gave the waiter a tip of $5. The man picked up the note and looked it thoughtfully, Gates asked him if there was anything wrong, to which the waiter said that although he was a multi-billionaire he only gave $5 as a tip while his daughter gave him $100 as tip and so he was a bit disappointed. Bill Gates gave a stunning reply, he told the waiter that it was alright for his daughter to give such exorbitant tip as HER father was a billionaire but my father was a woodcutter so I cannot afford that kind of tip.

I guess that is the difference. A person who has come up with hard work will not throw away money just like that but will think carefully before spending it, that is being thrifty. But a person who will live like a beggar and will not even spend money on necessities although he can well afford it will be a stingy person.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: usha manohar, jabeen

That is a very nice story to be shared Kalyani and that makes the difference so clear between the two.

I know I am a thrifty person but no where I should be mistaken for being stingy.  But there are many in my relation who feel that I am stingy. My priorities are different and I plan my finance according to my set priorities.

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

Thank you said by: usha manohar
Arunima Singh wrote:

That is a very nice story to be shared Kalyani and that makes the difference so clear between the two.

I know I am a thrifty person but no where I should be mistaken for being stingy.  But there are many in my relation who feel that I am stingy. My priorities are different and I plan my finance according to my set priorities.

Thanks Arunima! Yes, that is the problem with being thrifty, nowadays all people care for is money and showing off. I too am mostly thrifty but I don't mind spending money on books, a lot of it actually as my son is a voracious reader. Although they don't say much, but most people we know personally often raise their eyebrows as they feel that spending money on books is a waste! Grin

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

I too don't mind spending on books , so also my children. Since all of us love books and reading , it is money well spent. Thankfully these days we don't even eat out a lot because when my children are home they prefer simple home cooked food and eat out only when we want a change ..I try to be careful and have set some boundaries for myself , so that there isn't much left for any  impulsive buying. Even a small amount saved regularly goes a long way and in no time grows into a sizeable amount..

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
usha manohar wrote:

I agree that being thrifty is very essential in life or else you end up being a pauper . Some very rich people like the Ambanis ,ShahRukh Khan and Industrialists probably have the capacity to splurge without batting an eye lid but for most of us , finances are limited and we need to make the best use of it . This also means that you need to care for your things and possessions  so that you get the maximum benefit out of them and that is certainly not being stingy..

Money is very important thing in these days. For rich people things which are necessity are luxury for us. For example clothes of famous dress designer are demand film stars profession so it is need but it is luxury for us. Saving for future is in our gens.

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

There is a quite popular story about Bill Gates regarding exactly this matter. The story goes that once Bill Gates was visiting a restaurant where his daughter too patronised. After finishing his meal, while paying the bill, Bill Gates gave the waiter a tip of $5. The man picked up the note and looked it thoughtfully, Gates asked him if there was anything wrong, to which the waiter said that although he was a multi-billionaire he only gave $5 as a tip while his daughter gave him $100 as tip and so he was a bit disappointed. Bill Gates gave a stunning reply, he told the waiter that it was alright for his daughter to give such exorbitant tip as HER father was a billionaire but my father was a woodcutter so I cannot afford that kind of tip.

I guess that is the difference. A person who has come up with hard work will not throw away money just like that but will think carefully before spending it, that is being thrifty. But a person who will live like a beggar and will not even spend money on necessities although he can well afford it will be a stingy person.

Very interested and also have message that we must be spend with care. It is honor of hard labor. Persons who have enough money but  like to spend life like a beggar don't know that theyt came here empty hand and they will also go away empty hand.

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
Arunima Singh wrote:

Thanks Arunima! Yes, that is the problem with being thrifty, nowadays all people care for is money and showing off. I too am mostly thrifty but I don't mind spending money on books, a lot of it actually as my son is a voracious reader. Although they don't say much, but most people we know personally often raise their eyebrows as they feel that spending money on books is a waste! Grin

A person who like to reading know the value of books, so for him spending money on it is not wastage of money but a person who hate of reading, for them money spending on books is wastage of money. I am also like reading books. I can not afford to spent to much of books. I am paying for some magazines.. You know film star Bhart Bhushan was also fond of reading. He had large number books. For these he bought one separate house.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.