The topic is locked.
Quite often the toughest task in writing an article is writing it's first sentence, at least for me. Because no matter how much I review and edit the first sentence always lacks something and it always fails to impress. I do believe that the first sentence has the power to attract the reader and to make him read the entire article!

So please do share your ideas and thoughts on how to open an article and tips of writing a damn good first sentence.

Thanks.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Quite often the toughest task in writing an article is writing it's first sentence, at least for me. Because no matter how much I review and edit the first sentence always lacks something and it always fails to impress. I do believe that the first sentence has the power to attract the reader and to make him read the entire article!

So please do share your ideas and thoughts on how to open an article and tips of writing a damn good first sentence.

Thanks.

I do agree with you. It's the title that drags the reader in to the inner contents of the article. Some successful writers believe in this vital criteria. For this one should have a knowledge in Advertising Copy writing. For example I named an article that dealt with Breast feeding as "Breast fed, Best Breed." Here i played with rhymes. I feel if you want to become a successful writer, you should have an all round knowledge. This helps in the long run. Though the task is difficult, it's not impossible. Cheers.
The first sentence should be an introduction to the topic. This may include the circumstances that make the topic relevant.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

The first sentence or the Headline of an article should speak all about the inner content of the article instantaneously. In other words it should make the reader enthusiastic to go in to the contents that follows.

Thanks.

I do agree with you although I feel that if the title is effcetve and is able to give you a glimpse of the content of the article one would read because of the expectation that has already been created in the readers mind....

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Headline has got a lot of importance in the field of Advertising. Owing to this very reason, in the Advertising agencies, a separate and a specialized post is there known as "Copy writer.". His job is to draw the readers towards the Advertising. The same thing applies to any written matter including an article.

Thanks.

I do agree with you although I feel that if the title is effcetve and is able to give you a glimpse of the content of the article one would read because of the expectation that has already been created in the readers mind....

I agree with you, if the title is effective enough and interesting, it definitely prompts a reader to read through the article even if the opening sentence is not very unique and captivating. What I have often observed is that if the first sentence is unpretentious enough, it makes the article more interesting later on, of course it depends on the talents the author has!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: usha manohar

Thanks.

I agree with you, if the title is effective enough and interesting, it definitely prompts a reader to read through the article even if the opening sentence is not very unique and captivating. What I have often observed is that if the first sentence is unpretentious enough, it makes the article more interesting later on, of course it depends on the talents the author has!

I would go with that view as well..The beginning shd be to the point, keeping the readers interested and intrigued !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
I completely agree with you. I feel the first few lines are the most difficult part to write. Looking forward to new ideas and suggestions.

I love writing and sharing ideas

I completely agree with you. I feel the first few lines are the most difficult part to write. Looking forward to new ideas and suggestions.

They say small is beautiful. Confirming this, the phrase KISS, , 'keep t simple stupid" has come in to vogue. While agreeing fully with regards to simplicity of the first sentence or Headline, i'd suggest, " Crisp and Short" goes well.
Headline has got a lot of importance in the field of Advertising. Owing to this very reason, in the Advertising agencies, a separate and a specialized post is there known as "Copy writer.". His job is to draw the readers towards the Advertising. The same thing applies to any written matter including an article.

I agree. the title would be the most important thing. Many readers doesn't read the entire article they just skim or scan through the articles and often doesn't even read the first sentence, or even the paragraph.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.