'Or' is a simple english word that normally means choosing from one or more alternatives- viz. 'english mdium or Hindi medium' , 'son or daughter' and so on.

But there are occasions when 'or' is used differently. Members may please explain what are the othr meanings of 'or'.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Normally 'or' is used as as exclusive, means a choice of any one in more than one options, such as the ones you mentioned eg. English medium or Hindi medium, here 'or' means only either one of the two and not both. But in some cases, it is an inclusive term where both mentioned options are true. Such as in the eg. 'the young village girl couldn't read or write' ! Here the term 'or' includes both terms read as well as write and if they are taken separately and written as two different statements, both would be true as in, 'the young girl could not read' and 'the young girl also could not write'. So in cases such as this the term 'or' takes on a slightly different meaning.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
'Or' is a simple english word that normally means choosing from one or more alternatives- viz. 'english mdium or Hindi medium' , 'son or daughter' and so on.

But there are occasions when 'or' is used differently. Members may please explain what are the othr meanings of 'or'.

'What would you like to eat, apple or banana or cherry or whatever fruit you like to eat'. You can see 'or' is not a fixed choice in any of these.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Or as already mentioned is used to denote a choice between two or more things. She can eat an apple or a banana. However, 'or' can also be used to denote a result such as : "You can you this for better or for worse". In this or is not used as a choice but as means to show a consequence.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

As everyone mentioned, "or" is primarily used to choose between two or more alternatives. There are other usages too!

• Used after a negative verb: He does not have a television or a video.
  • Qualifies a result of a condition: Wear your coat or you will catch cold.
Actually, the use of 'or' was a matter of controversy in many central excise cases. In one case, a court ruled that 'or' actually meant 'and' in a particular rule. Yesterday, I was writing an appeal agaisnt a departmental decision. Here the word 'or' could not mean a choice between some alternatives, which is generally the case. Hence 'or' had a different meaning. So I consulted dictionary and also initiated this thread

I am thankful to members for giving very nice answers with examples.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: Mousumi Ghosh
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.