Friends,

With the advent of the 'new-age' slangs and 'Short' messages,the written English is losing its importance.Do you know,because The British was the last invader for India,the 'English' we learnt was from the 'Queen's English';and since we have many states where English is spoken,it is often called as 'Recieved Pronounciation'.

Words:
Most of the words are written in 'shorter' words;in order to save 'space' in text messaging and also to fill in more words in the space provided.

'h r u'-How are you?
'i m 5n'-I am fine
'btw'-by the way
'b/w'-between
'lol'-laugh out loud
'asl'-age,sex,language
'o i c'-oh! I see!
'b r b'-be right back
'o m g'-Oh My God!
'A F K'-away from the keyboard
'b 4'-before
'b/f g/f'-boyfriend girlfriend
'c ya'-see you
't y'-thank you
't c'-take care
'&'-and
'u n i'-You and I

I am not against chat language;I am just saying that Written English words are shortned.Imagine shortening your hand,you would look like a cripple,right?

Now when you write an article,make sure that you donot use these slangs.Written English is always written in expandable format.Numbers,for that matter is also written in English words,if not what is the use of 'English'?

Friends,since this is a forum,I would like you to post here any slang words you have come across,so that you can keep in mind to avoid writing in these slang words.

Swetha Shenoy
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Hello Swetha Shenoy,

This type of SMS writing is quite irritating.

It is not only followed by the youngsters who use it for showing-off as if they are ultra-modern... this is also a big help for the people who just don't know English.

This is a short cut for those who want to write without having knowledge of spelling. grammar and with zero vocabulary.

- Harish JHaria

Harish Jharia
http://harishjhariasblog.blogspot.com/
I agree with the author. We should speak and write correctly. Use of slang and unauthorized abbreviation is in bad taste and is indicative of casual approach. Slang should be reserved for informal chatting among very close friends only.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

I agree that we need to use new age slangs and short forms only in sms , again depending on the situation . I find RIP the most annoying slang since it sounds totally uncaring..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Seriously, with us humans not willing to waste a single second of our fast-paced lives, we tend to make stupid abbreviations for almost every word. And then there is the social media, which adds to this problem.

If "LOL" wasn't enough, now people use this one- "ROFL" which means "Rolling On Floor Laughing".

This is absurdity of the highest level. 

“There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.” 

Oscar Wilde

AFAIR is As far as I remember.

AKA, Also known as are twoexamples

Abhishek Sharma wrote:

Seriously, with us humans not willing to waste a single second of our fast-paced lives, we tend to make stupid abbreviations for almost every word. And then there is the social media, which adds to this problem.

If "LOL" wasn't enough, now people use this one- "ROFL" which means "Rolling On Floor Laughing".

This is absurdity of the highest level. 

Facebook comes up with the worst possible abbreviations that grates your nerves. Some people perpetually use ma to refer to themselves instead my and me..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

The excessive use of these abbreviations makes me wonder- How long before they are included in the school curriculum?flushed

“There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.” 

Oscar Wilde

What is the problem? Life today is fast and written language also has to be done fast. If the sender and receiver are comfortable what is your problem? Either join in or continue writing Queens English. 

I am not using mobile so I don't interested in these short words. But like to write in full form when ever I chat with friends of laptop.

Personally I hate using abbreviations all the time...at times i find it difficult to read some posts sent through whatsapp . I wish they use proper English words rather than mutilated ones..

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.