Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Spelling mistakes can happen when you are typing in a hurry but grammar is something else  ..Of course when you are interacting in a forum it is not possible to expect members to be perfect but one should make an attempt to take care..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

rambabu wrote:

I feel. it is the communication that matter. Spelling mistakes may be thee. We have a couple of members here in this site despite selling mistakes, members are able to understand. Even our reputed members ocaasionally spelling mistakes. I think these small mistakes need not be taken seriously

communication is one thing, but besides that there are also other purposes to a language.  We must not forget that English is not a native language of any of the members here and so there are bound to be mistakes. But we must also not forget that some members consciously try to learn and improve themselves while some do not. Not saying that mistakes should be taken seriously, but there has to be an effort on part of individuals to learn and improve and not blindly accept and follow the serious murder of language that goes on in the name of brevity and convenience. Personally, I deplore the sms format of language that is used!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

No one commits mistake knowingly. I myself committed spelling  mistakes several times. When I  see my mistake as far as possible, I edit. Still spelling mistakes do happen.

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
rambabu wrote:

I feel. it is the communication that matter. Spelling mistakes may be thee. We have a couple of members here in this site despite selling mistakes, members are able to understand. Even our reputed members ocaasionally spelling mistakes. I think these small mistakes need not be taken seriously

communication is one thing, but besides that there are also other purposes to a language.  We must not forget that English is not a native language of any of the members here and so there are bound to be mistakes. But we must also not forget that some members consciously try to learn and improve themselves while some do not. Not saying that mistakes should be taken seriously, but there has to be an effort on part of individuals to learn and improve and not blindly accept and follow the serious murder of language that goes on in the name of brevity and convenience. Personally, I deplore the sms format of language that is used!

I totally agree with that Kalyani ..We have an English teacher who has scraped through his English literature and got a permanent junior lecturers post because of reservation whose pronunciation is so bad that the students are perpetually teasing him. And does he bother to correct him self ? Never , according to him that's how Indians pronounce English words . Gadget is pronounced as gadaget and ought is out and so on..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

As I said, if members could refer a Dictionary, mistakes will not happen. We have the feature, if spelling mistakes are there, yo know a red underline will come out. This feature should be used. 

Like everything around us language also evolves with time. Typewriters have given way to Pcs which have given way to laptops and now smartphones. Today speed is of essence and is reason why abbreviations are used. Typing on smartphones is not very comfortable and thus abbreviations. Also meaning is understood. Millions adapt to these changes but thousands do not. No problem but do not look down nor defend decision not to change. .

No doubt , change is the essence of life and it is but natural that some want to hold on to old ways regardless of the benefits . For some quality is of utmost importance and they would not want to compromise on that .

vijay wrote:

Like everything around us language also evolves with time. Typewriters have given way to Pcs which have given way to laptops and now smartphones. Today speed is of essence and is reason why abbreviations are used. Typing on smartphones is not very comfortable and thus abbreviations. Also meaning is understood. Millions adapt to these changes but thousands do not. No problem but do not look down nor defend decision not to change. .

Change is not a problem and technology should be used as per convenience, totally agree with that. Smartphones, because of their size and design, it is better to use abbreviations and that gave rise to the short form of language such as hru, lol, brb etc. But this kind of language is not appreciated when it is used in formal conversations and other forms. That is what I meant, language format should also have relevance to the occasion and purpose it is being used, not a standard abbreviated format for all times and purposes! Btw no one is looking down or resisting change with respect to it!

Appreciate the mild reaction perhaps for the first time to my submission. I am pinching myself.

Well, Newton's third law of motion does apply to everything! Milder the words are, mild is the reaction, harsher the words are, even harsher the reaction to it! Btw, don't pinch too hard Grin

Thank you said by: rambabu
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.