Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
chinmoymukherjee wrote:

Not necessarily ,if you are suggesting and confining,constricting reading to books only!Intelligence is a cognitive, mental process which may be aided by a host of sources of which books form an important one but denial access to them in no way makes one less intelligent if he or she is capable of enriching himself or herself through superior cognitive powers. It is equally important to bear intelligence existed before physical books. Thousands of years back marks of intelligence shone gloriously independent of books!

ChinMoy, you gave me a surprise.

Coming to the point, I agree with all you said

chinmoymukherjee wrote:

Not necessarily ,if you are suggesting and confining,constricting reading to books only!Intelligence is a cognitive, mental process which may be aided by a host of sources of which books form an important one but denial access to them in no way makes one less intelligent if he or she is capable of enriching himself or herself through superior cognitive powers. It is equally important to bear intelligence existed before physical books. Thousands of years back marks of intelligence shone gloriously independent of books!

That is so absolutely true given the fact that most of our grand structures and wonders that have withstood the ravages of time were built at a time when there were no books..Even the knowledge that has been passed down to us came from superior brains thriving on experience and highly developed cognitive skills

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Reasoning power and simple common sense works better than mere book knowledge .. However, with changing times books and written knowledge has gained a lot of importance which many tend to associate with intelligence levels in a person . 

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Arunima Singh wrote:

I work with special need children. My younger daughter struggles with dyslexia but her IQ lies in superior intelligence. Reading is a skill. She struggles with reading but no one can doubt her superior intelligence in field of Music, Art, Theatre and Cooking. She is outstanding in those areas and beams with pride for her achievements. She is much slower at reading but can express beautifully through stories and stick drawing or illustration. If we ignore mirror images and spelling errors, her sentence structure and choice of words is much beyond her age. She has developed her vocabulary by listening to the books that my elder daughter, my husband and I have read to her. My elder one reads voraciously. She also wants to read like her sister but her limitations due to dyslexia hampers it. But she is very intelligent

Your daughter is very fortunate to have a mother like you who can recognise the special needs of the children and so can help your daughter learn using different methods. A close friend of mine who is a teacher in a primary school failed to recognise dyslexia in her son and it was identified only when the school asked her get him checked by a consultant. Until this happened, he was already in seventh grade and she missed a precious time to devise methods of teaching him effectively. But I feel that academic learning is not the sole criteria for judging a child's intelligence. There are so many famous people who were dyslexic, made it to the top of the world in their respective fields. Some of them include Steven Spielberg, director of so many classic and cult movies, Anne Bancroft and I think, even Cher is supposed to be dyslexic. So I think you are doing great with her in encouraging her creative talents. With patience, she will learn soon enough.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

usha manohar wrote:

Reasoning power and simple common sense works better than mere book knowledge .. However, with changing times books and written knowledge has gained a lot of importance which many tend to associate with intelligence levels in a person . 

That too and also the ability to process information and react to it in an appropriately emotional manner, which is nothing but what is called as an emotional quotient. A person with quite high IQ, who does well in exams and get good grades but is unable to take negative outcomes properly cannot be called as truly intelligent. Or maybe, it is that intelligence is not much use if it is not accompanied by common sense or a little bit of wisdom.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

I agree. Intelligence is not of much use, if it is not applied to the real life conditions.

rambabu wrote:

I agree. Intelligence is not of much use, if it is not applied to the real life conditions.

Wow what a revelation as usual from you, parroting others posts ...

As usual charging my version as Parroting. Please go ahead.

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

That too and also the ability to process information and react to it in an appropriately emotional manner, which is nothing but what is called as an emotional quotient. A person with quite high IQ, who does well in exams and get good grades but is unable to take negative outcomes properly cannot be called as truly intelligent. Or maybe, it is that intelligence is not much use if it is not accompanied by common sense or a little bit of wisdom.

Absolutely  true Kalyani,  have seen many brilliant brains getting tied up in knots when it comes to simple every day problems..

@ rambabu , when you have nothing worthwhile to add , rather than parroting other members posts and ideas, have the decency to refrain from posting just for points

Reading is not a mandatory mark of intelligence.Some people have very vast knowledge but they lack intelligence to use that knowledge in proper way.Intelligence is a skill to use smartly your knowledge which is obviously acquired by reading.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.