The topic is locked.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I think this is more joy for us to go to old-age homes and try to be with such inmates who have no one to look after them. This makes them forget some of their sorrows and gives them a soothing effect.
Our group of friends has made it a point to go to a particular old-age home in our area where we visit often with small gifts like fruits and sweets and talk to them. We have even taken them out for sight seeing etc. in groups to nearby picnic spots.
The look of joy on their faces gives us a satisfaction beyond any description. They have become like our family members. I wish some more friends would join in our mission soon. I know this does cost us some money but when we see the happiness on their faces, the feeling is heavenly.

Great job done. Salute to you.

www.mobileeduhut.blogspot.in
All the good well managed old age homes are run by private parties, at least that is the case in my place and also by christian institutes.A couple of government run old age homes are badly managed and I have seen others too occupying it , the so called destitutes , who look anything but that.The government run institutions and offices are the same anywhere in the country .
I visit one old age home often which is a semi government organisation , run by private individuals with some government aid.This place is called Chiranthana. I have a far relative living here.She is a widow with one daughter who is married and is no position to look after her. The lady is quite happy since the people running it are nice and the place is neat with a little garden where all the people living there work voluntarily, growing some vegetables,chilies etc...I feel that in the coming years this an option that needs to be seriously considered by the governmental agencies..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Do you hear about ashram of Brindaban?
here many mother live and most of them are left by their children.
I personally feel very sorry for them. They wait upto their death that any of her family will come to fetch them. Even they go to their last destination on some unknown's soldier.
It is said that mother cries when their child does not eat and again cries when they don't get food from their children.
last of all I want to say that we should care of our parents as once they brought me in this world,helped me to walk by holding our hands and helped us to stand in life and teach us to how to lead a good and perfect life.So they can expect this little things from us.We can find our past and future through them,so they are not our burden ,they should be our inspiration,our umbrella.
Remember ou future is watching our present and can follow us.

Thank you said by: Sandhya Rani
I personally feel very sorry for them. They wait upto their death that any of her family will come to fetch them. Even they go to their last destination on some unknown's soldier.
It is said that mother cries when their child does not eat and again cries when they don't get food from their children.
last of all I want to say that we should care of our parents as once they brought me in this world,helped me to walk by holding our hands and helped us to stand in life and teach us to how to lead a good and perfect life.So they can expect this little things from us.We can find our past and future through them,so they are not our burden ,they should be our inspiration,our umbrella.

Definitely, one should care for and look after their parents.I have my own mother who we all look upto and can never ever think of sending away to a old age home and I am sure most other people here too would feel the same regarding their parents .But again people are different and circumstances are different too and many families find it practically impossible to look after their parents well because of work pressure or financial constraints...here again one can argue that if one can look after themselves and their children why not parents?
I feel that in certain cases parents are much happier being in old age homes because they get companionship with other people living there and also are free of stress .I have noticed and seen many parents being treated very badly by their children or grand children and in such cases it is only fair that they have a choice of being stress free.Here, the real task is choosing a better option under the circumstances !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Just to bring this thread on the top for discussion!!!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: Sandhya Rani
All members have posted a lot and has taken this thread seriously. Let me thank you all at first.

Yesterday's Satyameva Jayathe's episode was about such old people and problems they face in our society. Though I watched just 10-15 minutes, it deeply affected me seeing the miseries faced by poor old women at Vrindavan. I saw them begging and washing cars. :( :( :( :(
Seeing it, I can't see it more.

When I saw a few mothers saying, " We do everything what we can do for our kids and we cry when our kids don't take food. But now, they can't give us even bread 2 times", what should I say more.........

Actually, employed and retired persons not meet this fate. At least they get pensions. But it's the case of just 10-20% of our country as a whole. 80% of old people is really pathetic, where they have to depend upon their kids for even primary necessities.

Gandhiji once told, " If I am able to do so, i will close all old homes in our country". Seeing the situations of old age homes at that time...50-60 years back, he may have commented it.
Now also, i feel...if old persons don't have children...then only there is the need of such 'orphanages'. Isn't it?????

It's well illustrated in the film, "Lage raho Munna bhai"

Meera sandhu

I agree that the NGOs are doing good job. In fact, I have also been contributing to Helpage. Helpage provides financial assistant to many old age organizations in India. In fact, Help Age is apex body. Help Age has huge funds at disposal. Help Age is also running some mobile vans for medical care, conducts cataract operations and runs some old age homes. There is need to strengthen such organizations.

Government gives rebate in income tax under Section 80(G) to donors.

While I was studying in school, we did some donations for help age India. We collected money from our friends, relatives etc and gave to the charity organisation and according to the amount we connect we get badges which encouraged we kids a lot. :)

Meera sandhu

Definitely, one should care for and look after their parents.I have my own mother who we all look upto and can never ever think of sending away to a old age home and I am sure most other people here too would feel the same regarding their parents .But again people are different and circumstances are different too and many families find it practically impossible to look after their parents well because of work pressure or financial constraints...here again one can argue that if one can look after themselves and their children why not parents?
I feel that in certain cases parents are much happier being in old age homes because they get companionship with other people living there and also are free of stress .I have noticed and seen many parents being treated very badly by their children or grand children and in such cases it is only fair that they have a choice of being stress free.Here, the real task is choosing a better option under the circumstances !

Vriddha sadhanam or Old age homes look good only if they get financial support. It's true, a few of such institutions are really doing it. But, it's not the same for all cases. As Gulshanji told, if old parents stay alone at home, there arises the problems of security too, as we can't even trust home maid. How many such incidents are occurring!!! But if they have kids, why do they have to face such a bad situation in life???
The whole life, they may be running behind every difficulties to make their kids' life secure. When their days are numbered, why can't kids give them at least a few things back. At least, they should never forget, we are here because of them only.

As I have expressed my opinion, if parents have no kids, they can choose old homes. But it's only rare occasions. Isn't it?
I am sure, 90% of inhabitants of old age homes are those left by their kids.

In old ages, parents want only love and happiness and nothing else. they just want to play with their grand children. Their desires are only a few. If we are not able to fullfill them, how can we called humans??? Isn't it?

I want to assure one more thing.....no parent will love an old age home more than the presence and love of his kids and grand children, even if he finds heaven there.

Meera sandhu
I want to add one more thing...
let us see the other side of same coin......

Our country is really notorious for the torture of daughter-in-laws in the name of money and only a few are lucky enough to get the love from in-laws even if she serves them good. Some in-laws even spread bad things about her.

Help is always a mutual help and when in-laws develop a mutual bond between these two and treat her as a member, then only she also gives it back. I think, this mutual understanding itself can erase the thoughts of oldage homes a lot.

Let me tell something about my sister-in-law's parents. Her grand parents are still alive. Grand father is 92 or 93 and grand mother is also 87-90. So, it's sure, both are very aged and very weak too...yet still alive.
More than 10 years have passed since both have fallen to bed and their daughter-in-law (Rekha's mother) is looking after her in-laws both. Grandpa can't even rise from his bed and grand mother can't remember anything, even the faces of her dear ones.....Often she calls them with other names. If she gets an opportunity, she will run out of the home and needs special attention as a pond is there in their courtyard.
If we tell the truth, her parents are not able to go out even for a shopping for the past 10 years and they are looking after them.
Actually, these old parents were good. That's why, when they fall down, their daughter-in-law looks after them in their bad times.

So, i am telling one more point......
If in-laws are able to treat her as their daughter, they won't even need to ask help from their son. Isn't it?

Meera sandhu
I want to add one more thing...
let us see the other side of same coin......

Our country is really notorious for the torture of daughter-in-laws in the name of money and only a few are lucky enough to get the love from in-laws even if she serves them good. Some in-laws even spread bad things about her.

Help is always a mutual help and when in-laws develop a mutual bond between these two and treat her as a member, then only she also gives it back. I think, this mutual understanding itself can erase the thoughts of oldage homes a lot.

Let me tell something about my sister-in-law's parents. Her grand parents are still alive. Grand father is 92 or 93 and grand mother is also 87-90. So, it's sure, both are very aged and very weak too...yet still alive.
More than 10 years have passed since both have fallen to bed and their daughter-in-law (Rekha's mother) is looking after her in-laws both. Grandpa can't even rise from his bed and grand mother can't remember anything, even the faces of her dear ones.....Often she calls them with other names. If she gets an opportunity, she will run out of the home and needs special attention as a pond is there in their courtyard.
If we tell the truth, her parents are not able to go out even for a shopping for the past 10 years and they are looking after them.
Actually, these old parents were good. That's why, when they fall down, their daughter-in-law looks after them in their bad times.

So, i am telling one more point......
If in-laws are able to treat her as their daughter, they won't even need to ask help from their son. Isn't it?

All daughter in law should follow her.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.